Earlier this week, I made a pot of very hot and spicy Crock Pot Greens. Actually it turned out pretty well. My hubby is from Texas, and he loved it!
Greens – I was really lazy and got pre-washed greens – but typically I wouldn’t do that. If using unwashed greens, get 2 large bunches of collard or turnips or a mix.
Onion – 1 sweet onion
1 lb ham shanks or smoke turkey – for flavoring. If you use ham shanks, make sure they are meaty and not. If you don’t have turkey or ham, you can use bouillon.
fatty – this is very important. If you have an ethnic market in your area, you night want to go there to get them.
4 Jalapeno peppers
4 cloves of crushed garlic
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Vinegar
1 tsp Sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Cups Water
- If using fresh unwashed collard, I place the greens in salt water for 1 hour to suck out any dirt and bugs. Then I wash off the greens, cut off the large center stem, roll like a cigar, slice and drain. Place aside.
- In a heavy pan, place olive oil and heat on medium-high. Then add garlic and onion. Saute until the onion is brown. Add minced Jalapeno peppers and cook for just a minute. Place in the bottom of the crock Pot
- Add the greens
- Add the ham hock or smoked turkey
- Add the red pepper flakes
- Cover with the 2 cups water. If you opt to use bouillon, dissolve 4-6 bouillon cubes in the water.
- Cook on low for 6 hours
- Add salt and pepper to taste
It’s pretty easy! Great side dish for the Mom on the go who doesn’t have a lot of time in the kitchen.
I hope you enjoy this hot and spicy side dish. Pair it with ribs, chicken, or pork for an excellent meal.
Do you eat greens? What do you pair greens with?
This post is included in the NaBloPoMo Challenge. This month, the theme is Hot.