Welcome to the May edition of the Simply Living Blog Carnival – Daily Lives cohosted by Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children, Laura at Authentic Parenting, Jennifer at True Confessions of a Real Mommy, and Joella at Fine and Fair. This month, we write about what we do to keep the little things from overwhelming us. Please check out the links to posts by our other participants at the end of this post.
In my years of living with children, I have learned that a peaceful home is simple living. To me, simple living would be absolute silence. Hearing nothing but happiness- no complaining, no arguing, no crying, no unhappiness with the things we have/don’t have. When things are settled in the home – everything just runs smoother. Life is simple.
With 3 young children – when it’s not peaceful – is when the living gets oh – so complicated!
To keep the peace – I simply bring family together as much as I can.
- We have family dinners. I made an effort to have dinner together at the kitchen table. When I am at home with the kids, we have lunch together. We talk about the things that are going on in our lives. We laugh together and we talk about random things.
- We come together as family at least one night for a renewal. It could be reading scripture, or playing games, or reading a book together. Whatever. One week night is dedicated to growing our family together.
- We make time for walks and bike rides with the kids during the day. Exercise is key to peaceful living.
- We listen to what the kids have to say.
- I make an effort to watch tennis with my husband late at night-even though I am dead tired. It’s our time together when the kids are asleep
- We go to church and surrounding ourselves with people who give to others.
- We got rid of cable. Big one to keeping the peace.
These are just a few things that help us come together as a family – trying to maximize the time we spend doing the things that really matter. I have realized that it is the time that we spend together that keeps peace in our family. Us being together, makes life and living together – easy.
- Keeping Stress at Bay From Day to Day – Laura at Authentic Parenting sums up some of the things she does to avoid being overwhelmed.
- How I Stay Sane! – ANonyMous @ Radical Ramblings discusses the coping mechanisms she has to stay sane when her life is chaotic and often stressful.
- Organising – sustainablemum talks about how spending time planning ahead has given her more time for life!
- Simple Menu Planning for New Moms – No longer a lady of leisure, new mom Mercedes at Project Procrastinot has had to rethink her cooking style in order to maximize her time in the kitchen.
- Happy Homes/Peaceful Homes – According to Lisa at Squishable Baby, It’s the things that bring us closer together as a family – that keep our home Peaceful.
- Keeping It Simple – At Living Peacefully with Children, Mandy focuses on keeping things simple so that she can spend her time enjoying her family.