What is the Ketogenic Diet?

This post may contain affiliate links

 
I find peace in the ketogenic lifestyle.  All of my life I was obese.  It was a struggle tracking points, and calories and living at 300 lbs.  Anytime I would lose weight – sometimes upwards of 80 lbs., I would immediately gain it back after I quit the program. 

Why did I quit the program?  Because it wasn’t a life I enjoyed living.

I can honestly say that I love living the ketogenic lifestyle.  I’m not sure what it is about it that I so thoroughly enjoy.  Is it the high-fat flavorful foods, or non bloating low-carbohydrate portion?  I don’t know.  But for the first time, my body feels good and clean.  I am full of energy and I am happy with the way I train, the way I eat, and the way I look.

So, for a newbie, what exactly is ketogenic, ketosis, and can you actually live without carboyhydrates? 

I am going to answer all of these questions and more!

 

What is the ketogenic diet? #keto #health #fitness

The ketogenic diet is simply and ultra low-carb diet.  What does ultra low carb mean to me?  It would include 15-20g of net carbs a day (30-40g total carbohydrates).

 

What are net grams? #keto #ketogenic #ketosis

 
Basically, I get 98% of my daily carbohydrates from low carbohydrate fruits and vegetables.  The other 2% come from my favorite keto recipes like crackers and mug cakes!

What makes up the other 95% if what you eat?

With only 5% of my calories coming from carbohydrates, the other 95% of my calories come from protein and fat.

The ketogenic diet is low carbohydrate (about 5% of my daily total), moderate protein (20-30% of my daily total depending upon activity), and high-fat (about 65-75% of my daily total).

So for me, on a calorie deficient diet…

30g carbohydrate

120g protein

100g healthy fats

 

On a non-calorie deficient diet the carbohydrate and protein would stay the same, and the fats would increase significantly.

But you shouldn’t use my numbers.  I train 6 days a week, am pretty active and have a goal of leaning out.

 

But doesn’t eating fat make you fat?

No.  That’s the story we have been told, but it’s not true.  A diet high in healthy fats is not only good for you, it can help you lose weight.  On a ketogenic diet, it’s a must. 

Eating the standard American diet of high fats and carbohydrates will make you fat!

relationship between carbs and fats #weightloss #diet

 
Protein remains stable.  In order to lose weight (or maintain your weight), if your diet is higher in carbohydrates, fats should be lower.  If your diet is high in fats, carbohydrates should be lower.  It must remain balanced.  If both are high (you will gain weight) or both are low (you will starve). Both high or both low, you will have a broken seesaw. 

We don’t like broken seesaws here in Squishablebaby Land.

An ultra low carbohydrate, high fat diet is ketogenic.  The ketogenic diet puts you in the state of ketosis.

 

What is Ketosis?

Our body’s prefer to burn carbohydrate for fuel.  When we restrict carbohydrates, at a certain point, our bodies will convert to burning fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates.

It’s a miraculous process!  And this is the very reason you need to eat high fat when you are living the ketogenic lifestyle.  If you don’t give yourself enough fat, your body will have very little to go on for energy.

I’m not getting into the science because it’s beyond the scope of this post, but if you believe in science and are interested in learning more, check out this book!

 

Art and science of low carb living #ketosis #keto #lchf

 

This is a fantastic book for an introduction to the wonders of low carbohydrate living.

 

What can I eat on a ketogenic diet?

Good question!

Foods to enjoy #ketogenic #ketosis

 
You want to limit (significantly) processed foods.  Enjoy whole foods.  Meat, fish, dairy, pork – it’s all there.  Fatty cuts of grass-fed/free-range/nitrate-free meats are best, but you do the best you can do.

Why are the grass-fed/free-range, etc. have a better fat profile.

Typically, we want to prioritize our fats in the following order

  1. monounsaturated
  2. saturated
  3. polyunsaturated
  4. trans fat

The body has the ability to differentiate between fats and appears to have fuel preferences when fat adapted (Ketogenic Mediterranean Diet, Santos-Prowse).  Not only does total fat oxidation increase when you are fat adapted (in the state of ketosis), but so does the rate of saturated fat oxidation.

 

Are you demonizing carbs?

I don’t think saying that I feel better, am able to lose weight, and maintain my weight easily on an ultra-low carbohydrate diet, is demonizing carbs. 

We need carbs, plain and simple.  But just like everything else, there are healthy levels and healthy ways to consume them.  Sorry to say, but eating donuts isn’t healthy, no matter how much you like them.

But, I like donuts.  But do you know what I like more?  Not having high blood pressure, not being overweight,  not feeling weighed down, not wearing a 3x (size 26/28), and not being tired.  I like being a healthy weight, I like wearing a size 6/8, I like looking better, and I like looking at myself in the mirror.  I want to continue liking what I see in the mirror.

 
 
Are you thinking about starting a ketogenic lifestyle or would like to know more about low carbohydrate living, contact me!  I love talking about the ketogenic lifestyle!

 

 

Save

Lisa
food storage, canning, gardening #prep #emergencyprep
Get Free Shipping on STEAM Kits from KitHub.cc
About Lisa

Hey! Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm Lisa - a homeschool mom of 3 (2 boys and 1 girl). I care about the strength of the family in America, and often blog about babies/kids, natural parenting, homeschool, and marriage. Before you leave, please sign up for my monthly newsletter (on the top right). If you do, you will be well rewarded with notification of all giveaways and sales - which will not be announced on the blog. Google+ Profile

Comments

  1. A fantastic post and insight into the Keto lifestyle! I don’t like calling it a diet as it isn’t a diet as such but have to admit to enjoying following keto – it is so easy to fit into daily life and like you feel tonnes better and filled with energy! Sim xx

Speak Your Mind

*

CommentLuv badge